2.15.2008

An Honest Question, Part 2

So. We were leaning against the wall and I was about to go into more... detail, when he got a call on his cell phone.

I don't know who it was, but I know that he looked at the caller ID for a minute, then looked up at me.

You, he said, have no idea how much I don't want to say this, but I have to go.

Such excellent timing, I said. He cleared his throat. Yep, he said, and made a funny snorting sound, which made me laugh.

No problem. I can tell you more another time, I assured him. He said something like the moment would have passed. I shrugged, but thought, he is probably right.

Someone started to open the restaurant door so we moved back into the street. At the corner, I headed towards the subway and he stayed to catch a cab. I waved as he got in.

And that, my friends, was it. I haven't seen him since.

***

I know! That was kind of cruel. But that is just what you get with nonfiction. Real life is either breathtaking or mundane, it seems.

No comments: